Being able to write various types of essays effectively is crucial to a student’s academy journey. Writing essays is common at all levels of education as a form of assignment, standardized tests, and a key requirement when applying for scholarships or college admission. Indeed, knowing the type of essay to write when a question is thrown your way is the first step to getting it right. On the types of essays, you simply have to get it right!
Therefore, what are the different types of essays? Although there are a dozen types of essays, they are pretty easy to distinguish. We are going to demonstrate the different essay types and special tips for writing them.
What is an Essay?
Before looking at the different essay types, we are going to start by answering the question: “What is essay writing?” It is a form of academic writing done to support a proposition/ argument. The term was borrowed from Latin word exagium, which means presenting a case.
When you write various essay types, you are trying to make a case for the validity of a specific assertion, procedures, facts, interpretation, or analysis. Therefore, what are the main essay forms?
Descriptive essays are meant to explain the details of a specific subject. You can write a descriptive essay about an object, a person, or the features of an item. When writing a descriptive essay about an item, you might want to demonstrate when it was discovered, how it looks, smells, and works.
Common examples of descriptive essays you can be asked to write include the boreal forest, my school, my most enjoyable holiday, and the first US president.
To get it right on descriptive essays, you need to be as detailed as possible. Here are some useful tips to guide you:
- Select a topic that you are comfortable with.
- Brainstorm about the topic.
- Make sure to pick the right words to describe your subject.
- Use the right essay structure: Introduction, body, and conclusion.
Compare & Contrast Kinds of Essays
Compare and contrast essay styles are very common at all levels of education. These papers require you to look at similarities, differences, or both, between two things, events, or objects. Although you must have a clear thesis statement when writing this type of essay, it is paramount to support both sides for higher marks comprehensively.
Some common types of compare and contrast essays might be compare and contrast the main themes in Macbeth and Hamlet, compare and contrast the outcomes of World War I and World War II, and compare and contrast Confucius vs. Hammurabi’s code.
To help you score top marks on your compare and contrast essays, here are some useful tips to consider:
- Brainstorm and write down the main points.
- Make sure to read other top-rated compare and contrast essays to understand how they are done.
- Make sure to use the right words such as because,” “in contrast,” “I have established,” “from the demonstration ….”
- Format your essay correctly.
Definition Types of Papers
Definition essays are meant to help high school or college students to focus on defining a specific subject. Although descriptive essays are often confused with definition papers by students, the latter is narrower in approach. The main goal of a definition paper is to provide a better description of what is provided by dictionaries. This implies it is relatively short, and the student needs to be very precise. To write a definition essay on a specific object, you should mainly focus on what it is, what is associated with it, and how it is perceived.
Common examples of definition papers that students might be asked to write about include Define Your School Bus, Define Chemistry, and Define the US Constitution.
When faced with the task of writing a definition essay, here are some useful tips to guide you:
- Start by understanding the subject.
- Look at how the item has been defined in other publications.
- Select the right words to use when defining the item.
- Keep the essay short and precise.
Cause and Effect Essay Forms
Cause and effect essays are considered sequence type of essay writing where one activity/ event leads to a specific result. The essay is used in many subjects when the teacher wants students to discover the association of one action to another.
For example, a trainer might ask to write an essay, such as an inactive lifestyle that raises the danger of suffering from obesity. It is very important to be detailed when writing a cause and effect essay.
Some other great examples of cause and effect essays that students encounter in their careers include the uncontrolled spread of pests that can result in food shortages, the use of fossil fuels causes greenhouse effects, long-distance dating results to distrust in most relationships, and fear of side effects makes people avoid vaccination.
To write your contrast and compare essays like a pro, here are some helpful tips to guide you.
- Make sure to understand the topic well.
- Distinguish between the cause/s and effect/s on your topic.
- Develop a clear thesis statement.
- Use a logical essay structure.
- Learn from other top cause and effect essays.
Like the compare and contrast essays, persuasive types of papers are also very common in both high school and colleges. Here, you are required to convince the reader why your view is the most logical on the topic. Note that unlike standardized tests that are done in class, persuasive essays are written out of class.
To demonstrate why your view is more valid, it is prudent always to use facts, statistics, and expert views. Besides, your essay will be more appearing if you use recent reports and resources. However, this will also depend on the topic of interest.
Some impressive persuasive essays students might be required to do, include people are influenced negatively by jazz music, using animals in circuses is inhumane, and UNEP has failed to protect the environment effectively.
In order to craft a winning persuasive essay, the first step is selecting a topic and picking your stand. Here are other tips to help you craft a winning persuasive essay:
- Try to understand the target audience of the persuasive essay.
- Research the topic comprehensively.
- Use an impressive paper outline to create good flow and cohesion.
- When summarizing points, use counter arguments to strengthen your stand.
Narrative essays are types of papers that feature a single motif, around which the narration revolves. All happenings and characters in the essay revolve around the central point of the narrative. Because the author (a student in this case) is telling a story, the essay often includes sensory details to get readers more involved. You should also include dialogues and characters.
Some impressive narrative essay topics can include your first day in college, your favorite summer holiday, and a time that you had the scariest experience. After identifying a great narrative essay topic, it is time to embark on writing it. Here are some useful tips to help craft a great essay:
- Make sure to study your topic comprehensively. A detailed understanding of key points you will write about is crucial.
- Like other essays, it is very important to use a good essay structure for the effective flow of points.
- Make your points as clear as possible when writing a narrative essay.
- Focus on narrating the main points that help to create articulate flow in the essay.
- Think of narrative essays like telling a story to listeners in a hall. Therefore, you should use first-person when writing your narrative essays.
An argumentative essay is a form of writing that requires students to research and present arguments on both sides of a topic. Both sides could be balanced, or one side may be weightier than the other. Here, it depends on the position that the writer supports. Argumentative essays are broadly categorized into two:
- Toulmin model: This model involves using a thesis statement at the introduction, and is the most common.
- Rogerian model: In this type of argumentative essay, a student weighs two options, such as strengths and weaknesses, and provides a recommendation on the weightier side.
Because students have the option of exploring both sides of a topic, argumentative essays are very interesting. Some great argumentative essays include sale and use of tobacco should be made illegal, every country should activate death sentence, and sale of alcohol before 4:00 pm should be banned.
After selecting a great argumentative essay topic, how do you write it? Here are some helpful tips:
- Select a topic that you are passionate about.
- Research your topic widely. This should include gathering facts about counterarguments.
- Use a good essay outline and present your arguments cohesively.
Critical Types of Papers
Critical essays are types of essay writing where a student is required to analyze or evaluate data. Then, he/she makes a claim on the ideas and themes presented in the write-up. The claim has to be supported by other info from primary and secondary sources. Note that the focus is evaluating the meaning and significance of texts as opposed to being judgmental. Think of these essays in the same line with those written by top philosophers such as Emanuel Kant, Karl Marx, and Plato. The philosophers used critical essays to evaluate theories and put forward their own arguments.
Some great examples of critical types of essays that teachers might require their students to write include what are the best ways to avoid recidivism?, should ex-convicts be allowed to vote?, and which is better: Rehabilitation or incarceration?
To help you write your critical essay, here are some useful tips to guide you:
- Practice active reading.
- Avoid the urge to summarize. Instead, make sure to understand the key points and analyze them.
- Make sure to read other critical essay papers to learn how they are done.
- Make sure to support your assertions well using arguments and counter-arguments.
- Make sure to reference your essay well, both in the text and at the end of the essay.
After establishing the right type of essay that you need to write, the main task of writing it begins. Start by researching the topic, crafting a winning essay structure, and finally write down the paper. Note that unless you are writing the types of papers that require digging old resources, the rule of the thumb is using those published in the last five years. And that is not all! You need to write the paper according to MLA formatting or APA formatting guide. Is that too much heat to handle?
If you feel inadequate to write your essay because of one reason or another, you should consider using writing help. The help services are offered by professional writers who know how to write all types of essays. Let professionals assist you in writing papers that appear too hard to craft!